Migrating D front end to D - post Dconf

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat May 11 11:40:46 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 11 May 2013 at 17:36:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 5/11/13 1:10 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>> Yes it's possible, but it seems like a really bad idea because:
>> - Phobos is huge
>> - Changes in phobos now have the potential to break the
>> compiler
>
> The flipside is:
>
> - Phobos offers many amenities and opportunities for reuse
> - Breakages in Phobos will be experienced early on a large
> system using them
>
> I've talked about this with Simon Peyton-Jones who was
> unequivocal to assert that writing the Haskell compiler in
> Haskell has had enormous benefits in improving its quality.

Except that now, it is a pain to migrate old haskell stuff to
newer haskelle stuff if you missed several compile release.

You ends up building recursively from the native version to the
version you want.

We have an implementation in C+ that work, we got to ensure that
whatever port of DMD is made in D, it does work with the C+
version.