Migrating D front end to D - post Dconf

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sun May 12 03:24:24 PDT 2013

On 12 May 2013 11:08, w0rp <devw0rp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 12 May 2013 at 09:48:58 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>
>> Depends... statically linked binaries will probably always work on the
>> latest version, dynamic link and then you've got yourself a 'this
>> libstdc++v5 doesn't exist anymore' problem.
>>

> I am picturing a Linux workstation with the Post-It note ”DO NOT UPDATE"
> stuck to it.

:D

The only reason you'd have for that post-it note is if you were running
some application that you; built yourself, obtained from a third party
vendor, general other or not part of the distributions repository.

For instance, I've had some linux ports of games break on me once after an
upgrade.  And I've even got a company gcc that does not work on
Debian/Ubuntu.  There's nothing wrong with binary compatibility, just that
they implemented a multi-arch directory structure, so everything is in a
different place to what the vanilla gcc expects.  ;)

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';