DConf 2013 keynote

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Sun May 12 09:42:40 PDT 2013

On 05/11/2013 05:06 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> I didn't say an IDE was bad for D, I only said that if you need an IDE
> to generate boilerplate for you, then there's something wrong with the
> language.
>
> IDE's have lots of other valuable uses.

Two points. One, the person I responded to (and quoted in my reply)
said, "Yes, which is why I love D so much. All I need is a text editor
and the compiler, and I can do everything."

Second, in the Q&A session of your talk, you said, "I'm sorely tempted
to say that real men don't use IDEs..." The fixation on boilerplate as
to why people "need" IDEs is just a symptom of the more general sentiment.