DConf 2013 keynote

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun May 12 23:52:47 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-12 21:31, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> Looks interesting. Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall hearing
> about it back then. Personally, I've been a huge fan of Programmer's
> Notepad 2 <http://www.pnotepad.org/>. My #1 complaint about it though
> is that it's Windows-only. I want to switch to Linux for my primary
> system, but the lack of PN2 is one of the roadblocks (there are other
> roadblocks, though).

Take a look at Sublime Text. It's ridicules fast and cross platform. The
only problem is that it's not free. You can download it for free and
dismiss a dialog popping up once in a while.

http://www.sublimetext.com/

> But these days I prefer RDMD-style approaches ("pass the one main
> source file to a cmdline tool and it figures out the rest") because
> they're trivially scriptable and don't cause a specific editor (or any
> editor at all) to become a build requirement. I find that especially
> important for OSS and cross-platform projects.

The problem here is when you need to use a couple of compiler switches.
You need a file to put that in, usually a shell script. Unfortunately
that doesn't work on Windows. So you need to duplicate that file for
Windows.

--
/Jacob Carlborg