DConf 2013 keynote

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon May 13 23:46:29 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-13 23:52, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> Hmm, yea I've looked at that before. There's some nice things about it,
> but honestly, I can't stand non-native UIs (both looks and behavior).
> Plus the settings don't seem to work (tried changing one, saved,
> restarted, and it had no effect), and the text seems a little blurry,
> and I'm kind of uneasy about relying on closed-source for something I
> rely on as much as a text editor. Don't like being completely at some
> company's mercy for any changes/fixes I may need.

There are two kind of settings. System wide settings and user settings.
I don't know if that had something to do with it. Don't know about the
text, it looks good on Mac OS X.

> That's not a true problem at all. Nobody ever said RDMD, or anything
> else like it, can't be invoked from another tool to provide whatever
> additional functionality is needed. In fact, such things already
> exist. But try adding on functionality using IDE-based build tools
> as a building block - *and* then make it work for anyone who uses a
> different editor.

If I would use an IDE I would prefer it to invoke a build tool/rdmd,
just because of this. I don't want to lock someone in, to force them use
a specific editor/IDE.

> If all you're doing is passing a few switches to a DMD/RDMD call,
> then having both BAT and shell is absolutely trivial. I do it all the
> time myself:
>
> 1. Replace the shebang line with @echo off
> 2. Replace "$@" with %*
> 3. If you invoke anything in the current dir, remove the prefixed ./
> (or change it to .\)

But there's still two files that needs to be maintained. Then you need
some linker switches, which are system specific. I'm not that
comfortable with the linker on Windows so I'm not sure I always get the
flags correctly. That's why I really would like to have a build tool
that handles this. It should have a system independent way of specifying
common flags, like which libraries to link with.

--
/Jacob Carlborg