EPUB Documentation

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue May 14 20:28:42 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 05:15:24 Borden wrote:
> 1) On the documentation page for std.xml, it states "Warning:
> This module is considered out-dated and not up to Phobos' current
> standards. It will remain until we have a suitable replacement,
> but be aware that it will not remain long term." Not just for the
> job I'm doing but for other XML manipulation I may do in the
> future, what is the recommended way to manipulate XML in D? Is
> there a task force (to the extent that such things exist in open
> source software) to address the shortcomings?

I believe that several 3rd party XML parsers exist, but none have attempted to
become the new std.xml yet. In order for std.xml to be replaced, someone needs
to champion that cause and take the time to either implement it and push it
through the review process or take an existing implemenation and push that
through the review process (which would likely involve further development on
it on some level). No one has done that yet. I'm actually tempted to, since I
really like parsing, but I already have too much on my plate to get it done
anytime soon. I'm having a hard enough time getting much D-related stuff done
as it is.

Probably one of the bigger hurdles in getting the new std.xml implemented is
the fact that it needs to be range-based, and I'm not sure that any existing
xml parser are.

The note was added (by me IIRC) in order to warn people that the current
implementation will not be around long term, but unfortunately, we don't have
a replacement yet. The way stuff like that typically gets done around here is
that someone decides that it's important enough to them to do it themselves
(and they have the time and expertise to do it), and they do it. One of the
regulars around here may do it at some point (though most of them tend to be
quite busy with other stuff), or someone new may step up and do it, but until
someone steps up and does it, we're stuck.

- Jonathan M Davis