Investigation: downsides of being generic and correct

nazriel spam at dzfl.pl
Thu May 16 07:23:20 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 16 May 2013 at 10:35:12 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> Want to bring into discussion people that are not on Google+.
> Samuel recently has posted there some simple experiments with
> bioinformatics and bad performance of Phobos-based snippet has
> surprised me.
>
> I did explore issue a bit and reported results in a blog post
> (snippets are really small and simple) :
> http://dicebot.blogspot.com/2013/05/short-performance-tuning-story.html
>
> One open question remains though - can D/Phobos do better here?
> Can some changes be done to Phobos functions in question to
> improve performance or creating bioinformatics-specialized
> library is only practical solution?

Very nice blog post.

Something similar should go into D wiki database so it won't get
lost in "In 80s we had..." topics.

For sure there is a space for improvements in Phobos but such
articles are good start to prevent wave of "D is slow and sucks"
and force people to rethink if they are using right tools
(functions in this case ie UTF8 aware vs plain ASCII ones) for
their job.

Btw, you've got nice articles on your blog in overall. Bookmarked
;)