(X)HTML/XML in DDoc

Borden 2013 at bordenrhodes.com
Thu May 16 14:22:48 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 16 May 2013 at 20:55:18 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I think if you're using a lot of macros, ddoc starts to lose
> value because then it is harder to read in the code. The
> plainer the text, the better, IMO.
>
> I use ddoc macros only on the individual ($important word) here
> and there and sometimes little ($lists, of, simple, stuff).

I think you're right, Adam. A standard 80-character line of code
gets swallowed up pretty quickly in tags. Macros are certainly
more concise but I've noticed that their main (ab)use is as HTML
shorthand. I'm guilty of much the same: using macros to cut down
on the amount of copy-and-pasting I have to do when I want to
make a bunch of similar XML tags real quick.

A corollary to this question is how much opposition I'd face if I
were to rewrite the DLangSpec source files into a different
markup. A corollary to the corollary is which standard would be
easiest to write, read, understand and maintain?