Struct with default ctor (Was: [dmd-beta] dmd 2.064 beta take 2)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat May 18 17:32:49 PDT 2013

On Sunday, May 19, 2013 02:22:43 Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> Or... possibly, the current holes in @disable are fixed, and NonNull!T
> becomes the default, because we tell people to always use them, rather
> than flail our arms and behave like idiots. ("regular pointers are
> broken, use NonNull!T" is a pretty good argument if it's true)

I've never understood why so many people feel that nullable pointers are a
problem. Clearly, many people do, but personally, I've rarely had problems
with them, and there are plenty of cases where not being to make a pointer
null would really suck (which is why we're forced to have
std.typecons.Nullable for non-reference types). I'm not arguing against having
non-nullable pointers, but I'd probably almost never use them myself, as I
really don't think that they'd be buying me much. In my experince, problems
with null pointers are extremely rare and easily caught.

-  Jonathan M Davis