Struct with default ctor (Was: [dmd-beta] dmd 2.064 beta take 2)

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun May 19 13:05:21 PDT 2013

On 5/19/2013 12:10 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 May 2013 at 18:46:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> You also never provided any convincing solution to the safety hole. We can't
>>> even add check only on some edges cases as D also have values types. The only
>>> solution we are left with that is really safe is to null check every dereference
>>> or give up on @safe.
>>
>> Please don't make us guess what exactly you mean by this.
>
> This isn't new and I discussed that again and again.
>
> When you dereference null, you hit the first plage, which is protected on most
> systems. But if you access an element with sufficient offset you bypass all
> protections provided by the type system and you are back in unsafe world.

And we've replied to this before. But when you say "give up on @safe", that
implies a far more serious issue, so I want to make sure what you're talking about.

I agree that we need to deal with the issue. But on a practical note, if we
solve 99% of the @safe issues, and fail at 1%, that doesn't mean there is no
value to @safe and we should give up on it.