Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun May 19 23:21:43 PDT 2013

On Monday, May 20, 2013 07:25:49 Tyler Jameson Little wrote:
>  I'd also like to know
> the likelihood of getting a GUI toolkit into Phobos.

It's come up before, and I don't think that any sort of decision has ever been
made on that, though personally, that strikes me as the sort of thing that
doesn't really belong in the standard library. Certainly, if it did end up in
there, it would probably have to be very minamalistic.

Also, I thought that general consensus had been that while it would be awesome
to have a GUI toolkit written in D at some point, that's the sort of thing
that takes a ton of time and effort, and we have enough other stuff that needs
doing that the time and effort of the community was better spent on other
things and that wrapping a C++ GUI toolkit was a better move for the
forseeable future (with a full D GUI toolkit being something that might happen
once D is much larger). But anyone who wants to work on a GUI toolkit in D is
welcome to do it. IIRC, there was at least one small one done in D1 using
OpenGL. And having at least a minimal one so that very basic GUIs could be
written fully in D would certainly be very cool.

Personally, I have too much other stuff to do and not very much expertise in
this area, so it's the sort of thing that I'm very unlikely to be involved in
and am likely to leave most of the decisions up to others who are much more
versed in this sort of thing.

- Jonathan M Davis