Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon May 20 12:52:39 PDT 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 12:28:09 -0700
"Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2013 12:09:47 -0700, Nick Sabalausky
> <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 May 2013 11:01:35 -0700
> > "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Graphics programmers who can make GPU's sing,
> > [...]
> >> UI designers capable of replicating the looks [REPLYER'S EDIT: "and
> >> feel"] of each OS.
> >>

> > Embrace native and those two concerns disappear.
> >
> > And that latter of those two is *NEVER* going to be pulled off
> > successfully with a non-native toolkit anyway.
> >

> Demonstrably untrue. Windows Aero in WinForms (native OS widgets) and
> WPF (retained mode GPU rendering) are pixel identical. Only way to
> tell the difference is if it doesn't use the default (native)
> styling. Nick, I work exclusively in WPF/XAML all day every day at
> work, but the last app I wrote was WinForms, what's your experience?

WPF/XAML is first-party, therefore it's native by definition
regardless of whether or not it internally hands off to the older UI
code. Saying WPF isn't native is like saying that Quartz isn't native
just because it doesn't use...uhh, whatever the UI was called in Mac OS
9.

Besides, having access to all of MS's internal code, documents,
probably even some of the original developers still around, etc., is
naturally going to change the feasibility in a way that no third party
toolkit (which is exactly what we're talking about here) is
realistically going to be able to match.

In other words, despite your antagonism, I was implicitly **agreeing**
with your assertion that it's one a hell of an undertaking,
*especially* if you don't make use of native APIs under-the-hood.