Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon May 20 13:07:10 PDT 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 23:28:16 +0400
Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> 20-May-2013 22:01, Adam Wilson пишет:
> >
> > * There is a deep-seated distrust of any toolkit that does not use
> > the OS Native UI widgets. The people in this community prefer native
> > toolkits to the point of jihad.
>
> It's just one crazy Nick ;)

Heh :) It's really not just me, though. But, gee, it is nice to know I'm
in people's thoughts...I think... ;)

> > Now I am a XAML guy myself, and I saw
> > the light a long time ago, but around here, the majority are still
> > command line gurus.
>
> Markup for GUI layout seems like a decent idea.

Indeed. XML wouldn't have been my choice though, but UI layout is an
appropriate area for some DSL-ness.

> > * There is absolutely no chance of inclusion in Phobos, and
> > to-be-honest I don't think it really belongs there.
>
> Where you take that from? I thought it was quite the opposite if
> written in D. Even C++ guys seem interested in GUIs in std library(!)
>
> [snip]

There's interest, sure, but it'd have to be really, *really* freaking
good. Enough to obviate most needs/desires for the other popular
GUI toolkits. It'd have to do for us what WPF did for MS, *and* be
cross-platform. Not impossible, strictly speaking, but a tall order
even for us.

Not saying it isn't worth attempting for those skilled and motivated
enough, but I wouldn't have my hopes up. And I'm not sure how much we'd
really gain by having it in phobos anyway: By the time any toolkit like
that was built and ready, I'm sure DUB will have gotten big enough that
being an external library won't be an issue.