Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon May 20 13:58:56 PDT 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 13:20:22 -0700, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2013 12:41:08 -0700
> "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 May 2013 12:28:16 -0700, Dmitry Olshansky
>> <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Markup for GUI layout seems like a decent idea.
>> >

>> HTML is markup. XAML is markup. QML is markup. XUL is markup. iOS is
>> markup. Android is markup. Realistically, the age of OS native
>> toolkits has passed, markup is the future. *shrug* For me it's a
>> practical thing,
>
> And what takes that markup and actually executes it? Magical GUI
> fairies? ;)

Depends on the system, in WPF the XAML is encoded into a binary form of
XML and then the objects are deserialized at runtime. Note that given D's
CTFE I would NOT choose this path for any D UI toolkit. D is perfect for a
system where you use markup to declare your UI in a CTFE manner and then
have the compiler do the dirty work of actually generating the code. Fast
AND Simple, Go D!

> Markup is, by necessity, nothing more than a front-end for a
> code-based GUI engine/toolkit/whatever-we-want-to-call-it. The GUI
> toolkits will always be there whether it's the UI designers that use it
> directly or the markup developers that use it directly.
>
>> markup is extensible, OS widgets are not.
>>

> I don't know where you got that idea.

I mean extensible in terms of look or style, sorry for the ambiguity. OS
widgets require tons of custom coding to change the style, I've done it,
and I hated every minute of it. But with WPF I don't even think twice, I
just do it, because I can get the exact style in under an hour.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender