Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon May 20 14:58:24 PDT 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 14:36:11 -0700, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2013 00:32:09 +0400
> Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 20-May-2013 23:41, Adam Wilson пишет:
>> >
>> > Absolutely, but my point is that some of those are entire fields of
>> > study and bodies of knowledge that can take years or decades a too
>> > acquire.
>>
>> I believe this is a fallacy as given the current pace of progress
>> people can then no longer hope to become experts anymore ;)
>> (Or at least in anything even remotely actual). A year or 2 is more
>> then enough to get to the state of the art, and amount of experience
>> is not proportional to inventing something new (and advancing the
>> field).
>>

> With only a brief, cursory understanding of the current
> state-of-the-art, any attempts to "advance the field" automatically
> carry a high risk of *regression* under the false guise of advancement.
>
> And I strongly believe that's already been happening *a lot* over the
> past decade. Wheels are being reinvented, only this time most of them
> are squares.

Well arguably that regression in markup based UI was WPF. They made a lot
of mistakes that to this day murder performance and the markup is pretty
bulky. But they've gone backed and fixed a lot of the perf and markup
issues with WinRT, and I am seeing some better markups in newer toolkits
that look like they learned from WPF. But arguably HTML/CSS was the first,
and IMHO they made WAY to many mistakes there and only now just starting
to catch up to where WPF was in 2005.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender