Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon May 20 19:53:40 PDT 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 16:50:47 -0700, Peter Williams
<pwil3058 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> On 21/05/13 08:49, Adam Wilson wrote:
>>
>> I'd be willing to lead the project, I'm just not sure I am the right
>> person to do so. I have a vision, and the skeleton of a design, but no
>> code. I am willing, but my ability is a question mark...
>>

> I'd volunteer to be a foot soldier on this project as I'd like D to have
> a useful GUI capability.  At the moment, my experience of GUI
> programming is at the user of the API end of the spectrum (mostly using
> PyGTK to write GUI wrappers for command line programs to make my life
> easier) but I think I'm a quick learner.  Also as a GUI API user I have
> some idea of the sorts of thing that make a good API.
>
> If D had a usable GUI API I would port at least one of my current PyGTK
> programs to D as it would benefit from better number crunching
> capability than Python possesses.
>
> So, if this gets up, give me a call.
> Peter

I'd love to get this up and running but I think we've got a blocker right
now in D and that is the lack of package import, the GUI system is going
to be a monster no matter how it's sliced and I'd lack to avoid the
std.datetime effect. Sorry Jonathan Davis!

Once we get package import into D we can start building out the basics. Do
you have any experience with concurrent hashmaps by chance? Or any other
types of containers?

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender