Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon May 20 22:18:31 PDT 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 19:24:44 -0700
"Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2013 18:04:10 -0700, Nick Sabalausky
> <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 May 2013 15:54:10 -0700
> > "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Very few actual users care about changing the behavior of the
> >> widgets. Most people who want to change them just want to skin
> >> them.
> >>

> > One standard deviation is all that ever matters. Everyone else can
> > and should just go fuck off. It's their own goddamn fault anyway
> > for being such a bunch of unreasonable jackasses. Fuck 'em, nobody
> > cares about them anyway, especially since we all know perfectly
> > well they're just a bunch of fat unshowered virgin slobs living in
> > their parent's basement and jerking to "7 of 9".
> >

> > ...Right?
> >

> > Or, of course, we could just go with the classic favorite: "It's
> > just business."
> >

> So the basic premise of the argument is that if we can't make
> everyone happy we shouldn't do anything at all?

The basic premise is that "fuck the minority" is asinine. I know you've
never worded it in such a way, but that's exactly what it amounts to.

> Let me pose you this
> question. If a piece of software did something for you that you
> absolutely had to do and nothing else did, but had a non-native
> widget UI, would you use that piece of software?

There's nothing hypothetical about that:

I *do* use Claws mail, Gimp, DVDFab (to remove PUOs from my - yes,
legitimate - discs) and various others, I have used iTunes, Flash and
others in the past, and those are all non-native abominations. And yes,
I put up with them *even over some native UI alternatives*, because for
one reason or another they're the best option (for me) that I can find.

That still doesn't change the fact that I hate putting up with them and
I would immediately jump ship given an all-around sufficient
alternative.

> Most people, even the prideful ones, would just use it, because not
> using the software is worse than the UI decisions by the designer.

So I take it you *really* weren't expecting my answer above then. You
were maybe convinced I was something I'm clearly not, hmm? Just because
I don't chase trends eagerly? Or just that someone not sharing your
opinion, or who doesn't engage in group-think, couldn't possibly be
rational? Something else, perhaps?