Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon May 20 22:44:18 PDT 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 22:00:39 -0700, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2013 19:48:00 -0700
> "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 May 2013 17:04:40 -0700, Nick Sabalausky
>> <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

>> > Basing software decisions upon worries of "What if some user shoots
>> > himself and calls our support?" is *always* a bad idea.
>> >

>> Is it though? Because regardless of whether or not they should call
>> me, they will, and I will have to spend money to deal with it. Again,
>> I have real problems that are clashing with ideology. When that
>> happens the engineer in me demands that I address the real problems.
>>

> No, you most certainly do *not* have real problems clashing with
> ideology:
>
> What you have is a contrived "what if" scenario that you think is a
> "real" threat to your business despite the fact that you yourself are
> convinced that hardly anyone is going to be messing with their settings
> anyway.
>
> Then you're running around crying "It's ideology versus successful
> business! I'd better disregard my user's settings or else the sky will
> fall!" Yea, I'm exaggerating, but your whole argument here is clearly
> exaggerated bullshit.
>
> And if you're really *are* that worried about enough "coffee mug in the
> CD tray"-mentality users changing their system settings and then calling
> you about that, enough that it would pull you under, then you can just
> *not* invent a new UI styling to force on them in the first place. Big
> freaking deal. Like you said, most of them don't care anyway, right?

I didn't think we were talking about styling but about cross-process UI
manipulation, styling isn't a security threat as you've correctly pointed
out, but allowing other processes to manipulate a UI, is, otherwise all
new native UI toolkit's allow it. Last I checked none of the mobile OS's
do. WinRT on Win8 does not either. I'd say the trend is away from
cross-process UI manipulation, not towards

> [...]
>> them, and I care less and less, just get out of my way and let me
>> work. Don't make me decide on a hundred details before I can get
>> started.
>>

> Ok. So then why in the world are you wasting *your* time inventing new
> UI styles for your software if so few of your users care?
>

>> > Secondly, we're not babysitters or self-appointed police here. To
>> > engage in such a level of control is *already* a very serious breach
>> > of our moral obligations.
>> >

>> In the real world, yes, we are. You see, it's a small inconvenience
>> known as the lawsuit. Specifically that I am legally liable for any
>> and all security vulnerabilities within my product. There is
>> case-history going back to support this since the dawn of legal
>> systems. It is ironclad, ideology will not change it. I consider
>> cross-process of a UI a MAJOR security problem because it allows
>> malicious software to modified my software in subtle ways that
>> compromise the security of the system. And apparently I am not the
>> only one who thinks this way because every mobile OS available today
>> does not allow ANY kind of cross-process UI manipulation of any kind,
>> going so far as to sandbox each app.
>
> I think we're getting offtopic here. If we're associating
> "legally-accountable security negligence" together with "using native UI
> toolkits", then clearly we've already taken a nose-dive off the deep
> end.
>
>> Where is your outrage over
>> Android or iOS or WinRT or Blackberry or Symbian?
>>

> Heh. If you think I *don't* have a deep seething hatred for Android, iOS
> and WinRT, on both practical and ethical grounds, then you're very much
> mistaken ;)
>
> I don't always agree with Stallman, but one thing I did always agree
> completely with him on is how Steve Job's last decade of work was
> "the computer as a jail made cool, designed to sever fools from their
> freedom". Stallman didn't change my mind with that, but he did word it
> far better than I ever could have.
>

>> > Just for example, Spy++ or any similar such developer tool. Or GUI
>> > macros. Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure people can,
>> > and have, thought of any number of other different uses.
>> >

>> GUI macros work on WPF apps.
>
> Does the same macro utility system also work across WPF, GTK, Qt,
> Delphi apps, whatever the fuck Nero, Winamp or Windows iTunes use,
> *and* Joe Schmo's Yet Another NIH-Fueled OpenGL-based Toolkit?
>

>> Snoop does what Spy++ does.
>>

> Same question as above.
>

>> Have you ever built any software where you are legally liable for
>> any security holes your software opens up? My guess is no. Because if
>> you had, you'd get where I am coming from.
>>

> Let's not dive into ad-hominem time-wasting here. I'm not going to get
> into what really amounts to an "I'm more l33t than you" contest under
> the false pretense that the answer has any bearing whatsoever on the

I wasn't intended on starting a pissing contest, I was merely pointing out
a legitimate concern. It may be ad hominem and for that I do apologize.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender