Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Mon May 20 23:21:28 PDT 2013

On 5/20/13 9:49 PM, Peter Williams wrote:

> Yes, if D aspires to be a systems programming language it can't keep
> relying on wrappers around C/C++ libraries (especially C++).  In the
> long term, it should be D all the way down to the OS API.

You wrote this as if not using c and c++ libraries is a predicate for
being a systems language.  It's not.

What's with the D community's (yes, I'm over generalizing some)
not-invented-here syndrome?  Avoiding the incredible body of existing
code out there that's accumulated over the decades is foolhardy and
narrow sighted.  Are all c and c++ libraries great bodies of code,
absolutely not.  Is some of the code that predates D worth reusing, yup.

Sigh,
Brad