Vote for std.uni

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue May 21 01:40:19 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:31:56 eles wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 May 2013 at 01:37:59 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> > On Monday, 20 May 2013 at 06:18:15 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> >
> > I strongly push into renaming it to std.unicode.
>
> I second that. I understand that is unpleasant, but better to
> make the effort now than later.

I'm strongly against this. It makes the module name longer for little gain and
breaks code. And std.uni is actually one of the modules that you're likely to
have to spell out completely due to how it overlaps with std.ascii.

> Transition should be, also, smoother: old code will continue to
> work with current std.uni module, that will be marked as
> deprecated, while new code will use the proposed module, named
> std.unicode.

Were there even any functions in std.uni which get deprecated as part of this
change. I don't remember any, but I'd have to check. But either way, changing
the module name would introduce 100% breakage in the module's usage and for
little to no gain IMHO.

- Jonathan M Davis