new DIP41: dmd/rdmd command line overhaul.

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue May 21 08:29:49 PDT 2013

On 5/21/13 5:44 AM, Timothee Cour wrote:
> Abstract:
> This DIP seeks to improve dmd and rdmd's command line flags, to make it
> more self-consistent and consistent with other tools (including other D
> compilers), more expandable, avoid existing corner cases, and better
> interact with other tools such as rdmd. It also proposes new flags and
> proposes a simple deprecation path to follow.
>
> Link:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP41

I think this DIP should be rejected. Even if implemented to perfection
it would do nothing to make D better.

Overhauling command line syntax would only help if the situation was
unbearable or if people couldn't do what they wanted to do. As things go
I find the situation marginally clunkier than it could be, but command
line syntax can never be beautiful or perfect.

Andrei