External lib unittests: they're killin me!

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 09:23:01 PDT 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 21:52:51 -0400, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> So alright...Who's with me?!!! "Yeaaaa......!!!!!" (<-- Belushi running
> out the door)

I think we can handle this without compiler help.

The runtime is responsible for running unit tests.

It actually provides a hook to allow you to override the unit tests.  See
here: http://dlang.org/phobos/core_runtime.html#.Runtime.moduleUnitTester
(set in a shared static ctor).  All you have to do is just run the
module's unit tests you desire.

I would argue the "stock" unit test runner could be configured by an
environment variable to be able to run/exclude whatever you want.  This is
eminently fixable in the library with a small pull request.

-Steve