std.uni vs std.unicode and beyond?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 09:52:10 PDT 2013

On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:43:01 -0400, Regan Heath <regan at netmail.co.nz>
wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2013 17:25:23 +0100, Steven Schveighoffer
> <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> It has nothing to do with the name.  I think unicode is better.  But
>> (allegedly) we have existing projects that use std.uni, which would
>> break if we renamed.
>
> Wouldn't the old std.uni remain but deprecated?

Deprecated functions don't compile.  Any code that uses it would have to
be modified.

Only non-breaking solution would be to keep both.  In the past, it has
been suggested to have std.uni simply publicly import std.unicode (or
analogous solution to some other module renaming).  You would always
retain std.uni in this solution.

-Steve