Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Tue May 21 11:48:38 PDT 2013

On Tue, 21 May 2013 11:40:15 -0700, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2013-05-20 20:01, Adam Wilson wrote:
>
>> So I've been around D a while pushing for native D UI toolkit. And here
>> are a few trends I've seen in the community.
>
> BTW, how do you intend the controls to behave:
>
> * Emulate the behavior of each platform
> * Picking one platform and emulate that across all platforms
> * Doing something completely custom
>
> ?

Controls will be completely "lookless". So a control is simply a class in
code with no associated styling whatsoever. That means that "look" is
defined entirely with styles. This presents us with the flexibility to
automatically load the correct look and behavior for a platform by
default, and then let the user override it with his own styles should he
choose to do so.

In this plan styles, as with CSS, include much of the styling behavior too.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender