i18n (was: Ideal D GUI Toolkit)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue May 21 12:56:00 PDT 2013

On Tue, 21 May 2013 14:12:11 +0200
Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> I think you underestimate what's needed and the controls people want
> to have. Did you have date picker, color picker, support for
> internationalization, field formatters and so on.

Speaking of, what is the current state-of-the-art for i18n? Basically
just tables of format strings looked up by language and a phrase
identifier?

Like (more or less):

assert("Hello $name" == i18n[US_ENGLISH][HELLO]);

?

I do know of at least one way *not* to do it. I once worked at a
VB6 company where their idea of i18n was:

XLate("You have ") + numOranges + XLate(" oranges.")

Sooooo many things wrong with that...