Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Tue May 21 17:03:38 PDT 2013

Oops, sorry for the empty message.

> I think the best idea is to stop arguing and just do something.
> I recommend trying a minimalist project (at most Clutter sized)
> instead of something massive like Qt that's likely never going
> to see the light of day. Implement the basics, create a few
> example apps, and _then_ start a discussion. You might not get
> a perfect library/framework, but at least you'll get something
> that exists instead of an infinite flame war getting nowhere as
> is the tradition in the D world. Getting more than one
> contributor _and_ not stopping work on it is going to be the
> main issue, there've been a few D GUI attempts and they're
> mostly dead due to lost interest.

This was the direction I was thinking of going. Do something
simple like Clutter (or even just a part of it), get something
usable, then decide where we want to go from there.

This should keep it reasonably scoped so that it may stand a
chance of getting done.

>> My (subjective) preferences:
>>
>> * Human-readable markup, not just through a tool (a tool can
>> be built later). YAML and JSON work well here.

Definitely. This makes source control a lot more effective,
because I'd have a chance of understanding what's going on in the
markup.

>> * Look at Hybrid API. Clutter and Qt also have nice APIs, but
>> D allows some things not possible there.
>>
>> * Library instead of a framework - one of things I like about
>> the Hybrid design

Clutter does have a nice API, and I think that's a good place to
start. I'll have to study it a bit before attempting an
implementation. Qt is just such a beast though.