new DIP41: dmd/rdmd command line overhaul.

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Wed May 22 14:28:17 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 22 May 2013 at 21:15:24 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> My understanding of your reasoning is:
>
> 1. Stability is something binary, if you break some code no
> matter how much code and on what grounds - if you break it
> stability is zero. If you don't break any code at all, then
> stability is one. There is no intermediate state between zero
> and one.
>
> 2. By definition (1), D is not stable.
>
> 3. Therefore since it's not stable, let's accept whatever
> changes because they won't make anyone's life worse.
>
> Is my interpretation correct? If so, do you understand
> reasonable people may disagree with the reasoning above?

1 and 2 are correct. But 3 is actually "Since it is not stable,
stop pretend it is in its current state".

Stability is something much more than just an intention. It is a
formal promise and well-defined process. I don't want feature
change anarchy, I want _true_ stability. It just happens that
true stability often accepts inevitability of change and strictly
defines what changes can be done and, most importantly, how it
can be done.

Of course people (and D developers) can disagree. But what about
at least defining (on dlang.org) _your_ view on stability and
what guarantees that does provide for users? Isn't this a
reasonable request? Because currently it is more like buzz word.