new DIP41: dmd/rdmd command line overhaul.

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Thu May 23 06:22:54 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 21 May 2013 at 15:29:49 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 5/21/13 5:44 AM, Timothee Cour wrote:
>> Abstract:
>> This DIP seeks to improve dmd and rdmd's command line flags,
>> to make it
>> more self-consistent and consistent with other tools
>> (including other D
>> compilers), more expandable, avoid existing corner cases, and
>> better
>> interact with other tools such as rdmd. It also proposes new
>> flags and
>> proposes a simple deprecation path to follow.
>>
>> Link:
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP41
>
> I think this DIP should be rejected. Even if implemented to
> perfection it would do nothing to make D better.
>
> Overhauling command line syntax would only help if the
> situation was unbearable or if people couldn't do what they
> wanted to do. As things go I find the situation marginally
> clunkier than it could be, but command line syntax can never be
> beautiful or perfect.
>

> Andrei

Andrei, there is a perfect, diplomatic solution to this - you
make a survey of D community, and if the majority votes "YES" for
a breaking change, then after that when someone complains, you
just give that person a link to the survey result, with a comment
"you asked for it!".