new DIP41: dmd/rdmd command line overhaul.

"Luís "Luís
Thu May 23 09:40:47 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 22 May 2013 at 16:50:45 UTC, timotheecour wrote:
> 2a): dmd -flagstyle=new -of=blah ... (+ other
> stuff/deprecations taken into account)
> 2b): dmd2 (reminds of D2, ldc2, ldmd2), which behaves as dmd
> -flagstyle=new.

I think dmd2 should be the new compiler binary, and dmd should be
changed into a thin "driver" that converts the old syntax into
the new and calls dmd2 (or just calls into a common shared
library).

*No breaking changes*. So, *no strong reason* not to improve the
command line syntax.

D is great, but the syntax of dmd makes for a bad first
impression, which is vital in a "new" language.