External lib unittests: they're killin me!

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu May 23 10:43:52 PDT 2013

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 13:12:53 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> >> No, the shell expands wildcards, not the OS.
> >
> > It was just a sarcastic comment about incredible consistency of wildcard
> > expansion in linux.
>
> Having the expansion of wildcards built into the OS would be bad. I don't
> need to get into that.

Agreed. Globbing is a shell thing, so it makes sense that the shell do it. It
has nothing to do with the OS. Saying that it had anything to do with OS would
be like saying that the fact that you had to escape ( was a feature of the OS.
It would make no sense. All of that sort of thing is a feature of the shell.
Programs just operate on the arguments that they're given and it just so
happens that the shell provides some useful ways for the user to provide
larger lists of files without typing them all. The OS has no business being
involved in that.

- Jonathan M Davis