D on next-gen consoles and for game development

Szymon Gatner noemail at gmail.com
Thu May 23 12:02:07 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 18:50:11 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 18:43:01 UTC, Szymon Gatner wrote:
>> On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 18:13:17 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
>>> While there hasn't been anything official, I think it's a
>>> safe bet to say that D is being used for a major title,
>>> Remedy's Quantum Break, featured prominently during the
>>> announcement of
>>
>> May I ask where this intel comes from? Do you have any more
>> details on how D is used in the project?
>
> You can watch Manu's talk from DConf here:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKceA691Wcg
>
> tl;dw They are using it as a rapid turn around scripting
> language for their C++ engine.

Ah I did watch it. Didn't realize Manu works at Remedy. Being
small indie game dev I totally agree on the industry needing
salvation from C++.

I am watching D closely for few years now but until compiler is
more stable (tho this is less and less of a problem) and there is
decent ARM support I still can't allow myself to switch. And the
day of the switch will be glorious one.