Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Peter Williams pwil3058 at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 23 16:51:56 PDT 2013

On 23/05/13 16:36, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-05-23 01:51, Peter Williams wrote:
>
>> That is indeed the case.  I avoid all things Apple as my experience has
>> been that they seem to think they still own a device after they've sold
>> it to me.
>
> I can understand that. But if we are to create something like this
> thread suggest I would say that it's almost irresponsible to not try all
> the alternatives. Ok, it might not be that easy to try the Apple stuff,
> need the correct hardware and so on. Yes, there are workarounds as well.

If I had been advocating the banning of GUI builders that would be the
case but I was just saying I found them not very useful once I was
familiar with the API proper.

>> What you describe isn't a very attractive work flow (for me).  Using
>> PyGTK direct I just use normal OOP techniques to extend widget classes
>> and adding a widget to a window is very simple operation (1 statement)
>> and certainly doesn't need a GUI to achieve it.
>
> You will need do the same thing in Xcode as well. What I described here
> was how to add a custom view, that you already have created using
> inheritance, using the GUI builder to a window. I can add as well that
> you're not forced to use the GUI builder, but it's generally easier.

For you maybe.  My experience has been the opposite.  I'm not proposing
that you shouldn't be able to use such a tool if that's your preference
just that it shouldn't be the only way to create a GUI.

Peter
PS I'm a great believer in GUIs and have spent a great deal of time
writing GUI wrappers for tools such a quilt, mercurial and git just to
avoid having to type the same thing over and over at the command line.
But I always include a mechanism for typing in commands directly as
cases always arise where the GUI can't do exactly what you want.