D on next-gen consoles and for game development

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu May 23 17:05:49 PDT 2013

On 24 May 2013 09:44, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
<joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net>wrote:

> On 05/24/2013 01:25 AM, Manu wrote:
> > I really hope D on ARM gets some more attention in the near future. The
> day it
> > can be used on Android will be a very significant breakthrough!
>
> GDC is close to being fully usable on ARM, no?  And as I recall the only
> (albeit
> major) problem you had with GDC was the delay between bugfixes landing in
> the D
> frontend and carrying over to GDC.
>
> So, the solution here might be the work to properly generalize the
> frontend so
> that it will plug-and-play on top of any of the available backends.

Well the compiler seems fine actually. It generates good ARM code in my
experience, ditto for PPC, MIPS, SH4 (those are all I have tested).

Druntime needs to be ported to Bionic. People have made a start, but I
recall mention of some complications that need some work?
iOS needs extern(ObjC), but it's a fairly standard posix underneath, so
should be less work on the runtime.

Systems like WiiU/Wii/PS3/XBox360, etc all need runtimes, and those will
probably not be developed by the D community.
It would land on a general gamedev's shoulders to do those, so I would
suggest the approach here would be to make a step-buy-step guide to porting
druntime. Make the process as simple as possible for individuals wanting to
support other 'niche' platforms...