std.uni vs std.unicode and beyond?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Thu May 23 20:19:50 PDT 2013

Am Tue, 21 May 2013 20:34:02 +0200
schrieb Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com>:

> On 2013-05-21 19:53, Idan Arye wrote:
>
> > The problem is that people that need Unicode stuff see `std.utf` and
> > assume that all Unicode related stuff are there.
>
> I never can remember if I should look in std.utf or std.uni. That
> wouldn't change if it was renamed to std.unicode.

...and looking at the content I really wonder what the
distinction is. I wouldn't say that "Unicode" is much more
than "Utf". All in all it is another way (or several ways) to
assign numbers to characters. Before this long discussion I
thought "std.encoding.unicode", "std.encoding.ascii", etc.
makes sense and I still think so. It also makes it more
likely that authors of such modules try to keep a common
layout or set of functions for everything in std.encoding.
Just my 2¢ ;)

--
Marco