D on next-gen consoles and for game development

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu May 23 22:28:17 PDT 2013

On 24 May 2013 15:21, deadalnix <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 23:42:22 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> I've always steered away from things like this because it creates a
>> double-indirection.
>> I have thought of making a similar RefCounted template, but where the
>> refCount is stored in a hash table, and the pointer is used to index the
>> table.
>> This means the refCount doesn't pollute the class/structure being
>> ref-counted, or avoids a double-indirection on general access.
>> It will be slightly slower to inc/decrement, but that's a controlled
>> operation.
>> I would use a system like this for probably 80% of resources.
>>

> Reference counting also tend to create die in mass effect (objects tends
> to die in cluster) and freeze program for a while. I'm not sure it is that
> better (better than current D's GC for sure, but I'm not sure it is better
> than a good GC). It probably depends on the usage pattern.

In my experience that's fine.
In realtime code, you tend not to allocate/deallocate at runtime. Unless
it's some short lived temp's, which tend not to cluster how you describe...
When you eventually do free some big resources, causing a cluster free, you
will have probably done it at an appropriate time where you intend such a
thing to happen.