new DIP41: dmd/rdmd command line overhaul.

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Fri May 24 01:17:34 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 16:19:26 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> I realize this, but you are arguing by using examples of those
> that don't ever want to change (they do exist, and they only
> change because they are forced to).

I am using examples of real-world stability maniacs I have
personally encountered :) Those guys (management) do want to
change process though if it brings some potential profit. They
will only do it in a fully controlled way though and once in a
few years, thus all the hype about LTS.

> There shouldn't need to bring up the works/doesn't argument
> because that isn't what we are after. We want to provide some
> category of bug fixes or library additions for a defined period
> of time, while elsewhere we are making language improvements,
> which will eventual freeze and then later replace previous
> release.

Well, I have been proposing something like this in one old thread
I remember you posting to :)

> Those who wish to never receive a non-breaking change are stuck
> with whatever version of the compiler they started building
> with. I'm not saying this to be mean, only because you can't
> change the compiler without the potential of having broken
> something somewhere (and now someone relying on that broken
> behavior).

That is not mean, that is reasonable. Only deal is about
categorization - I argue that "backwards compatible or not" is a
more useful one that "feature or bug-fix".