Nightly Builds and Better Download Package

nazriel spam at dzfl.pl
Fri May 24 11:15:13 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 23:34:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/23/2013 1:50 PM, nazriel wrote:
>> Walter is there any way we could help with improving packaging?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I guess for the first one the fastest way will be to make pull
>> request for
>> pull-tester and make consultation with bradd.
>>
>> But AFAIK second one depends mostly on you.
>> It's really pain to download 20MB each time I need to install
>> DMD... 5MB would
>> be the max package size if we split OS versions.
>>
>> And yeah, I move alot so downloading 20MB takes some time with
>> my UMTS modem :)
>
> I'm all for improving things so a 'make package' will work.
> Pull requests are welcome!

I still don't know how do you issue commands.

Do you use something like:
make -f posix.mak/win32.mak zip in dmd/src
make -f posix.mak/win32.mak zip in phobos

on each platform then merge zips into one?

I am wondering because I am willing to work on it but I am still
not sure where should I put this make rule. DMD makefile?

That would build DMD both 32bit and 64bit, then build druntime
both 32bit and 64bit also static and shared one, then phobos both
32bit and 64bit also static and shared one and then create
tar.bz2 for certain platform, be it FreeBSD for example or zip
for Windows.

Also there would be need to still manually create meta-package
with all those binaries for a bit of time to allow external tools
migrate (as noted by Jacob)

Is dmd's makefile the right place for this make rule?
Or creating standalone makefile for creating releases both
milestone and nightly is better idea?

I need a little bit of direction before I start working on it.
It will be ready for monday if nobody beats me in creating such
rule ;)

Regards