D on next-gen consoles and for game development

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Fri May 24 16:24:16 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 18:13:17 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:

> @nogc comes to mind (I believe Andrei mentioned it during one
> of the talks released). [1][2]

I would love to have something like @nogc to guarantee there's no
hidden or misplaced allocations in a section of code or
optionally throughout the entire application.

Not only is the GC a cause of concern for game devs, it is also a
concern for general systems development. For example I have a
simple virtual network device driver that I'd like to re-write
from C++ to D. It does not need a GC at all, all memory is
preallocated in advance of use during initialization and it does
not need anything from Phobos. If I could easily cut out the GC
even from the executable binary that would be great, provided
that I was certain that no allocations were going on by mistake.
Yes I know I can get rid of the GC, but there should be an
elegant solution for doing it that guarantees I am not using
features of the language that require the GC.

Keep in mind that even if the GC was improved, there will still
be plenty of systems applications that will not require the GC,
so while improving the GC is a huge deal in itself, it is still
not a general solution for those who do not need a GC at all and
want to be certain they are not allocating by mistake.

--rt