Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri May 24 20:56:12 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 08:45:56PM -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 7:16 PM, Manu wrote:
> >So when we define operators for u × v and a · b, or maybe n²? ;)
>
> Oh, how I want to do that. But I still think the world hasn't
> completely caught up with Unicode yet.

That would be most awesome!

Though it does raise the issue of how parsing would work, 'cos you
either have to assign a fixed precedence to each of these operators (and
there are a LOT of them in Unicode!), or allow user-defined operators
with custom precedence and associativity, which means nightmare for the
parser (it has to adapt itself to new operators as the code is
parsed/analysed, which then leads to issues with what happens if two
different modules define the same operator with conflicting precedence /
associativity).

Spaghetti code may be tangly, but lasagna code is just cheesy.