D on next-gen consoles and for game development

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri May 24 22:17:58 PDT 2013

On 25 May 2013 15:00, deadalnix <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 25 May 2013 at 01:56:42 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> Understand, I have no virtual-memory manager, it won't page, it's not a
>> performance problem, it will just crash if I mis-calculate this value.
>>

> So the GC is kind of out.

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's just a basic truth for embedded.
Can D implement a ref-counting GC? That would probably still be okay, since
collection is immediate.

Modern consoles and portables have plenty of memory; can use a GC, but
simpler/embedded platforms probably just can't. An alternative solution
still needs to be offered for that sort of hardware.