D on next-gen consoles and for game development

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat May 25 00:26:46 PDT 2013

Am 25.05.2013 03:29, schrieb Manu:
> On 25 May 2013 04:20, Benjamin Thaut <code at benjamin-thaut.de
> <mailto:code at benjamin-thaut.de>> wrote:
> [...]
> See, I have spend a decade on core tech/engine code meticulously
> worrying about memory allocation. I don't think a GC is an outright no-go.
> But we certainly don't have a GC that fits the bill.

Given that Android, Windows Phone 7/8 and PS Vita have system languages
with GC, it does not seem to bother those developers.

Yes I know that most AAA studios are actually bypassing them and using C
and C++ directly, but already having indie developers using D would be a
great win.

One needs to start somehere.

>     - Better windows support. All of the developement we do happens on
>     windows and most of D's community does not care about windows
>     support. I'm curious how long it will take until D will get propper
>     DLL support.

Yeah, this is partially why I lost the train for game development. I was
too much focused in FOSS issues, instead of focusing in doing a game.

--
Paulo