[article] Language Design Deal Breakers

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat May 25 17:14:13 PDT 2013

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 01:54:36 Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 05/26/2013 01:39 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 26, 2013 00:50:28 Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote:
> >> I think this have not been posted yet around here but might be
> >> interesting
> >> to the D community as it is actually criticizing several languages
> >> including D but with an interesting aproach:
> >>
> >> http://sebastiansylvan.wordpress.com/2013/05/25/language-design-deal-brea
> >> ker s/
> >
> > Interesting article, with a lot of good points, though I don't at all
> > agree
> > with his take on unit testing or null pointers.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> What is there to disagree with about the null pointer issue?

I completely disagree that null pointers are a problem. I don't even remember
the last time that I dereferenced a null pointer in my code, and I think that
null can be extremely useful. And yet for whatever reason, there are quite a
few people who seem to think that it's a great cause for bugs. Clearly,
they're doing something differently than I do.

Regardless, I don't really want to get into that (there was a discussion on it
quite recently). Suffice it to so that I don't find null pointers to be a problem
and am confused at how so many people manage to have problems with them.

- Jonathan M Davis