Out contracts: how to refer to objects' start state

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat May 25 18:13:43 PDT 2013

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> That was technically difficult to do back then, and fell by the
> wayside. Today it would break too much code to introduce even
> if feasible.

The "prestate" is an important part of contract programming. So
it's better to look for some other solution to implement it.

Andrej Mitrovic:

> "in" is a keyword so it shouldn't break any existing code.

Usually languages use the word "old" instead of "in" for this
purpose. But I think "in" is acceptable. And it's much better
than not having the prestate.

Bye,
bearophile