DLang Spec rewrite (?)

Borden 2013 at bordenrhodes.com
Sat May 25 21:24:25 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 03:51:48 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It's not totally random. I've designed one macro language
> before (ABEL), and have implemented 3 (ABEL, Make, and C
> preprocessor), so I knew what I wanted. Ddoc is very similar to
> Make's macro system.
>
> BTW, the C preprocessor takes the cake for being both
> horrendously complicated (most implementations take about 10
> years to get right) and woefully inadequate.

Good evening, Walter,

I noticed the similarities to DDoc macros and Make immediately.
Again, I think the documentation system you designed is
excellent. The 'sugar' I suggested in an earlier post seemed, at
least to me, in line with the general 'common sense syntax' that
you implemented elsewhere - such as with defining code,
variables, dates, authors, paragraphs, etc. Then again, you're
dealing with an (aspiring) accountant, not a computer scientist,
so I only have experience in trying to make complex things look
pretty and not caring about all of that optimisation and
implementation stuff!

Again, I have nothing but the highest respect for the work you've
done. Think of it this way: if I didn't admire D so much, I
wouldn't be so determined to get its documentation onto eReaders!