[article] Language Design Deal Breakers

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun May 26 00:36:12 PDT 2013

On 5/26/2013 12:03 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> After being a Turbo Pascal heavy user, C always felt backwards to me with its
> weak types, lack of proper strings, modules and namespaces.

I had the opposite experience. Being a Pascal user from the late 70's, I hated
Pascal's limitations. A friend loaned me K+R and it was like someone opened a
window. I never wrote another line of Pascal; I threw it under the bus, and
couldn't work up any interest in TP (which came along later).

Proper strings? Those length-prefixed ones that couldn't be longer than 255
characters? Argh. C botched them too with 0 terminated ones, but at least they
were usable.