DLang Spec rewrite (?)

Borden 2013 at bordenrhodes.com
Sun May 26 01:09:13 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 06:43:46 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> So, in questions of whether ddoc is powerful enough or
> expressive enough to do something (which appears to be the
> thrust of Borden's complaints) aren't affected by it.

How I'd rewrite DDoc from scratch as its own markup language is
not quite what I'm trying to get at in this thread. From what
I've gathered from Walter's responses, if I've understood
correctly, is that the idea behind DDoc is to provide the
simplest rules-based formatting scheme possible for the purposes
of generating documentation at the same time one compiles code. I
just want to make sure that I understand what I'm working with.

My 'complaint' - although I would prefer to have my observations
about difficulties working with a markup system be called
'observations' - is that the current body of text files which
comprise the DLang spec source cannot be easily compiled into
clean, well-formed, XHTML5-compliant files from which I can build
an ePUB file.

To solve this problem, and based on responses I got to previous
related threads, I offered in my first post to translate the
DLang spec files into a markup designed for documentation. This
idea was promptly refuted as being unwelcome effort as, it was
explained, the DDoc spec is written in a way which is both
sufficient for its purposes and is independent of any particular
markup language.

I am willing to keep working with the DDoc macros to try to get
them to output the XHTML5 files that I want. However, before I
can continue, I need guidance on:
a) How I can modify the DLang spec files to enable me to
translate them into the HTML5 files that I need; and
b) Avoid breaking existing compilation into other formats (such
as Latex, PDF, HTML4, etc.)

(I apologise if my message came across as hostile. It's rather
late where I am and I wanted to get this into the aether before I
went to bed. I don't mean any insult if anything I've writen
could be interpreted that way)