[article] Language Design Deal Breakers

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun May 26 02:28:54 PDT 2013

On Sat, 25 May 2013 22:44:52 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> Like I've said many times before, the only way I found coding in C++
> tolerable was to use it as "C with classes". Trying to do real OO in
> C++ is an exercise in masochism. Even Java with its baroque verbosity
> and prolific boilerplates beats C++ hands-down in this respect.

I always used to consider myself comfortable with C/C++ until I came
across Java.

To mix metaphors, that was a double-edged eye-opener: Java (this was
circa v1.2-v1.4) taught me everything that was wrong with C++'s classes
and *cough* module system, but it *also* taught me that Java wasn't
the answer either. ;)