Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Sun May 26 08:23:32 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 14:37:27 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> IHBT. You said that to handle multilanguage strings, your
Pretty funny how you claim you've been trolled and then go on to
make a bunch of trolling arguments, which seem to imply you have
no idea how a single-byte encoding works.  I'm not going to
bother explaining it to you, anyone who knows encodings can
easily figure it out from what I've said so far.

> Clearly, we're not seeing what you're seeing here. So instead
> of making
> general statements about the superiority of your scheme, you
> might want
> to show us the actual code.  So far, I haven't seen anything
> that
> convinces me that your scheme is any better.  In fact, from
> what I can
> see, it's a lot worse, and you're just evading pointed
> questions about
> how to address those problems.  Maybe that's a wrong
> perception, but not
> having any actual code to look at, I'm having a hard time
> believing your
> claims. Right now I'm leaning towards agreeing with Walter that
> you're
> just trolling us (and rather successfully at that).
When someone makes arguments that fly over your head, that's not
trolling, that's you not understanding what they're saying.  I
have demolished every claim that has been made about single-byte
encoding being worse.  If you can't understand my arguments, you
need to go out and learn some more about these issues.

> So, please show us the code. Otherwise, I think I should just
> stop
> responding, as we're obviously not on the same page and this
> discussion
> isn't getting anywhere.
I've made my position clear: I don't write toy code.  It will
take too long for the kind of encoding I have in mind, so it
isn't worth my time, and if you can't understand the higher-level
technical language I'm using in these posts, you won't understand
the code anyway.  I have adequately sketched what I'd do, so that
anyone proficient in the art can reason about what the
consequences of such a scheme would be.  Perhaps that doesn't
include Walter and you.

I don't know why you'd want to keep responding to someone you
think is trolling you anyway.