Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Sun May 26 10:45:21 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 16:54:53 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> 1. Make extraordinary claims
What is extraordinary about "UTF-8 is shit?"  It is obviously so.

> 2. Refuse to back up said claims with small examples because "I
> don't write toy code"
I never refused small examples.  I have provided several analyses
of how a single-byte encoding would compare to UTF-8, along with
listing optimizations that make it much faster.  I finally
refused to analyze Teoh's examples because he accused me of
trolling and demanded code as the only possible explanation.

> 3. Refuse to back up said claims with elaborate examples
> because "It will
> take too long"
You are confused.  What I said is "I don't write toy code,
non-toy code would take too long, and you wouldn't understand it
anyway."

The whole demand for code is idiotic anyway.

If I outlined TCP/IP as a packet-switched network and briefly
sketched what the header might look like and the queuing
algorithms that I might use, I can just imagine you saying, "But
there's no code... how can I possibly understand what you're
saying without any code?"  If you can't understand networking
without seeing working code, you're not equipped to understand it
anyway, same here.

> 4. Use arrogant tone throughout thread, imply that you're
> smarter than the creators of UTF, and creators and long-time
> contributors of D (never contribute code to D yourself)
Hey, if the shoe fits. :)

I actually had a lot of respect for Walter till I read this
thread.  I can only assume that his past experience with code
pages was so maddening that he cannot be rational on the subject
of going to any single-byte encoding that would be similar, same
with others griping about code pages above.  I also don't think
he and others are paying much attention to the various points I'm
raising, hence his recent claim that I wouldn't handle Chinese,
when I addressed that from the beginning.

Or it could just be that I'm much smarter than everybody else in
this thread, ;) I can't rule it out given the often silly

> Result: 70-post thread
>
> Conclusion: Successful troll is successful :)
Conclusion: Vladimir trolls me because he doesn't understand what
I'm talking about, which is why he doesn't raise a single
technical point in this post.