Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Sun May 26 12:25:36 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 19:11:42 UTC, Mr. Anonymous wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 19:05:32 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 18:29:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Congratulations, you are literally the only person on the
>>> Internet who said so: http://goo.gl/TFhUO
>> Haha, that is funny, :D though "unicode is shit" returns at
>> least 8 results.  How many people even know how UTF-8 works?
>> Given how few people use it, I'm not surprised most don't know
>> enough about how it works to criticize it.
>
> On the other hand:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=%22utf-8+is+awesome%22
I'm not sure if you were trying to make my point, but you just
did.  There are only 19 results for that search string.  If UTF-8
were such a rousing success and most developers found it easy to
understand, you wouldn't expect only 19 results for it and 8
against it.  The paucity of results suggests most don't know how
it works or perhaps simply annoyed by it, liking the
internationalization but disliking the complexity.